Saturday, January 12, 2013

Who Holds the Reins?

I made a terrible mistake! I was handing my niece a riding helmet but the problem was she was already on the horse. The horse began to panic. My daughter Elisabeth was holding the reigns and she didn't let go. It was a terrifying experience for everyone, however, it could have been disastrous if Elisabeth had let go of the reigns. Afterwards Elisabeth showed me her bloody hands, it was only then that I realized the painful price she had paid to reign in a horse that was panicking.

Horses are animals of prey and because of this they are often very fearful. Because of fear they can respond to situations in ways that can not only be damaging to themselves but also those around them. When you gain a horse's trust you can guide him with reigns into places he would never go otherwise.

"According to Hebrew psychology the reigns are the seat of the deepest emotions and affections of man, which God alone can fully know."  (International Standard Bible Encyclopedia) The Bible teaches that, "The righteous God tries the hearts and reigns." (Psalm 7:9) I confess I am often confused by my emotions but I don't think I'm alone in this confusion. Many seek out counselors to help them understand what is hidden in the heart that can have so much power over their life.

There is something comforting to me in knowing that God fully understands who I am. I also find it interesting that the verse that follows the statement that Gods tests our hearts and our emotions states, "My shield is with God, who saves the upright in heart." I rest in this truth that the one who understands the deepest emotions and affections of my heart is also my shield and protector.

Father, You alone search the heart and examine the mind. Help me to surrender my the control of my life to You today. Show me the way to surrender the reins and enter into Your rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment