Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Ordinary People Living Epic Lives

My son was visiting me for the Christmas holidays and every evening we watched part of an epic movie.  The theme of each movie was the battle between good and evil. I was reminded of 1 Timothy 6:12 "Fight the good fight of faith." I also remembered that, "Our struggle is not with flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."(Ephesians 6:12)

In scene after scene the ones who overcame evil were those who based their responses not on what they saw with their physical eyes but on what they believed. A situation would appear to be hopeless but the actions taken were not based solely on what could be seen. I find this true in my life as well, if I am going to be one who overcomes the circumstances I face I must first anchor myself in the truth I believe.

One of the greatest weapons that my enemy can use against me is the lie that there is no hope. The truth is there would be no hope if I tried to battle against rulers, against authorities, against the powers of this dark world and the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms in my own strength. But the truth is I am told to, "Be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might."(Ephesians 6:10) When I recognize that that the battle is fought in His strength and not my own I am able to stand and not retreat.

The "good fight of faith" involves taking what I believe and making that the basis for my actions. When I need a dose of courage I read through Hebrews 11. I read there about people, "Who through faith conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword," These were ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances who, "were made strong out of weakness."

Heavenly Father, help me to live my life confident about what I hope for and with the conviction about what I don't see. Since I am surrounded by a great cloud of witness who chose to fight the good fight of faith help me be bold in faith and not retreat.


No comments:

Post a Comment