Saturday, January 26, 2013

Thanksgiving and the Tree

"So what is your verse this year?" my friend asked. For many years I have found that there is one verse that stands out to me at the beginning of the year and that becomes my theme verse for the year. This year I kept thinking about, "Let your roots grow down deep into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thanksgiving."( Colossians 2:7)

Actually, at first I was only thinking about the last part of the verse the part that talks about "overflowing with thanksgiving." I kept thinking about that idea of not only being thankful but overflowing with thanksgiving and wondered what the context was for that verse. When I found it in Colossians I smiled because I think that unless your roots grow down deep into Christ and you build your life on him your faith can't be strong in the truth you have been taught and there is no way to overflow with thanksgiving because life is sometimes painful and not only is it hard to overflow with thanksgiving it's hard to be thankful at all.

The pictures that comes to my mind when I think of sinking my roots deep down into Christ is the root system of the tamarisk tree. These are trees that Abraham planted in the Negev. The tree can withstand heat and long dry periods because the roots of a tamarisk tree can penetrate 164 feet underground in search of water. This tree excretes salt particles on its branches causing water vapor to adhere to them. When the sun warms the air the droplets evaporate and cool. The tamarisk tree becomes a place a refreshment in a dry and arid land. When I was Israel our guide told us to put a leaf of the tree to our lips, you could taste the salt. It reminded me of taste of tears.

This is a picture of what I want my life to be like. I want to be someone whose roots have by faith gone deep into the promises and person of Jesus Christ. No matter what difficulties I face in life I want to be strong in the truth I have been taught. I want my life to overflow with thanksgiving so that I can be an encouragement to others who sojourn with me. I believe that having a thankful heart not only is a blessing to me but can also gives refreshment to those around me.

Lord Jesus, when my life is anchored in You I have all I need to overflow with thanksgiving and not only that but You take the taste of tears and redeem it and make it a place of refreshment for others.




No comments:

Post a Comment