Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Piece of a Puzzle

I bent down and picked up the little puzzle piece, the edges were partly convex and partly concave. The smooth side had splashes of color that had never sat beside each other on any color wheel. By looking at that solitary piece I had no idea how it fit into the bigger picture.

She called me on the phone and asked me to pray for her daughter. I listened without speaking what could I say? The story she shared with me made my heart constrict. All I could see from my vantage point were the since less edges and the clashing colors so I did the only thing I knew to do. With hands held open I joined my friend and we lifted her daughter in prayer before the God of Heaven.

Again and again I read in the gospels Jesus' admonition to not worry, not be anxious and not to be afraid. The problem I face is that I don't understand so many things I encounter and my confusion often causes me to be afraid. Jesus told his disciples, "Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom." (Luke 12:32)

In order for the fear to go away it needs to be replaced by the understanding that we have a Father in Heaven whose good pleasure is to give us the kingdom. But not just an understanding, it needs to be more than that, it needs to be trust. Trust that causes me to bring all my confusion to God in prayer believing that the puzzling pieces of my life somehow fit together in a bigger picture that can only be seen from Heavens perspective.

Lord Jesus You came to earth with a message that there is a Kingdom of Heaven. You taught me not to be afraid but to trust Your love for me. When life becomes confusing and I am tempted to be afraid help me remember that my life is part of a bigger picture and that it it's the Father's good pleasure to give me the kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment