Friday, March 1, 2013

Holy Communion

I need what's being offered maybe other's don't see a need for it but I do. I know who I want to be but the pressures of life offer me a mirror in which I can see the reflection of who I really am. But there is someone else who sees my true need and He responds by offering bread broken for me. The Great Physician offers me healing. He invites me to have communion with Him because He in love chose to enter into my brokenness and have communion with me.

I need what's being offered maybe other's don't see a need for it but I do. "And Jesus answered and said to them, 'It is not those who are well who need a physician  but those who are sick. I have come not to call the righteous but sinner's to repentance.'" (Luke 5:31,32) In order for me to be made whole Jesus had to be broken. "The Lord Jesus in the night in which He was betrayed took bread; and when He had given thanks, he broke it and said, 'This is my body which is broken for you.'"(1 Corinthians 11:23-2)

I need what's being offered maybe other's don't see a need for it but I do. I look around me and see a broken world. I see hurting people, broken promises and broken dreams. Jesus came as a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief he took the chalice filled with suffering and drank from it. But that's not where it ended He also offered something in return, "This cup is a new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me."

I need what's being offered maybe other's don't see a need for it but I do. What is being offered? "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life." (John 3:16) With hands that tremble I take the bread and hear the words, "This is my body broken for you. Take and eat." My heart is crying as I take the cup and hear, "This is my blood shed for the remission of your sins. Take and drink." Through this act of communion I receive the love of God, experience the touch of the Great Physician, and remember the promises of Jesus.

Lord Jesus, I receive with a grateful heart the gift of love you've given me. Because You were willing to be broken I find wholeness. Because You were willing to enter the kingdom of darkness I can enter the Kingdom of Light. Please help me to share this truth with a broken hurting world that the Redeemer and Savior has come to have Holy Communion with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment