Friday, March 22, 2013

When Life Causes You to Panic Seek Shelter

I recognized the sound of panic in my daughter's voice. "Where are the papers!" This is a scary question to be asking when it's time to fill out your tax forms. However, my granddaughter's response made me smile. She said, "Mom, don't you think God knows where your paper's are? Have you asked Him to help you?" The night before they had gone to a class together and had heard, "Fear is an insult to God."

I would like say that I know nothing of that sudden overwhelming fear that causes me to respond to life in an hysterical or irrational way but it I were to say this I would be lying. Life has a way of exposing my lack of being in control. It can be in small things like loosing keys and W2 forms or it can be big things like the loss of someone I love. Yet, I see in the Bible a different response. "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trails of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness." (James 1:2)

When I meet, "trails of various kinds" they not only expose my vulnerably they also expose the idols I run to to find comfort. I don't always realize I'm turning to idols because in my panic I just want relief. But the relief my idols bring is temporary followed by an even greater since of being out of control.Then I remember, "God, Your faithful love is so valuable that people take refuge in the shadow of Your wings."(Psalm 36:7)

In nature a baby chick is a picture of helplessness. A hawk could swoop down, a snake could lung up, and the unprotected chick would be gone. However, when there is danger the mother hen opens her wing to gather all her chicks. This is a symbol of faithful self sacrificing love. In a similar way I am invited to count it all joy because when the tests of life come they cause me to seek the shelter of God's wing. "He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler." (Psalm 91:4)

Lord Jesus, forgive me for all the times I run in panic frightened by the trails of life seeking comfort and protection in things other than You. I remember Your admonition to Jerusalem when You said, "How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not!" I choose today to find refuge in the shelter of Your wings and find my joy and comfort in Your faithful love.

No comments:

Post a Comment