Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Exploding Chairs and Misplaced Trust

I didn't know a chair could explode like that! I knew the chair was old and I had warned him not to rock back and put all his weight on the two back legs of the chair but I didn't think it would explode. I was reminded of this indecent when I thought about the consequences of misplaced trust.

God tells Isaiah to comfort His people. In order for them to find comfort in Him they needed to recognize His greatness. "Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand and marked off the heavens with a span,  enclosed the dust of the earth in a measure and weighted the mountains in scales and the hills in a balance? Who has measured the Spirit of the Lord, or what man shows him his counsel?" (Isaiah 40:12,13)

The problem that the children of Israel had is that they had put their trust in idols and like putting trust in a faulty chair the results had been disastrous. I have experienced this in my life as well. The result of my misplaced trust has often caused insecurity and fear because the thing I was trusting in failed me.

"Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint."(Isaiah 40: 28-31)

Lord Jesus, expose the things I'm trusting in that cause me to be afraid and insecure. Help me to find comfort and security in Your strength and Your love for me and help me share that comfort with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment