Monday, March 11, 2013

And He Took the Blind Man By the Hand

I don't know what caused him to loose his vision, but one day he could no longer see the light and he was plunged into darkness. He was from Bethsaida and he heard the rumors about a man who could do miraculous things but of course he himself had not seen any of these miracles after all he was blind. He couldn't see but he could hear the arguments of those around him some believed but most doubted what they saw.

His friends could do nothing to take away his blindness. They grieved over his loss of vision, they watched as he stumbled in the dark. But then they met Jesus and hope was born. Though they could do nothing to heal their friend they brought him to the one could and they begged Jesus to touch him.

Jesus received their friend and took him by the hand and led him out of the village, out of the place where so many miracles had already been done and yet where there was so little faith. He took him by the hand and led him because he was blind. But what happened next must have startled the man because Jesus spit in his eyes and laid hands on him, "He asked him, 'Do you see anything?'"(Mark 8:23-25) What he saw was men who looked like walking trees. It wasn't until Jesus touched him a second time that his sight was fully restored.

The fact that his vision was restored in stages seems to fit with verses that follow in Mark when Jesus asks His disciples, "Who do men say that I am?" Most only had a partial vision of who Jesus was. Sometimes I feel like that blind man when I have experienced painful things in life that seem to plunge me into full or partial darkness and I find myself groping for the hand of Christ. Other times I have brought those I love whose vision has been wounded and can no longer see. I bring them to the Christ and beg Him to touch the ones I love and restore their sight fully.

Lord Jesus, You are the Christ, the Savior and Redeemer. Thank You for receiving me for taking me by the hand and leading me to a place where I can see You for who You really are. Thank You for welcoming me when I bring others to You who have lost their ability to see. I cannot heal them but You can.




1 comment:

  1. Looked up your passage in Mark 8 and then found another one about Jesus spitting in Mark 7:33-37 and then John 9:1-7. Put together, that would make an interesting study!

    ReplyDelete