Saturday, October 29, 2011

Bowing Down with Eyes Uplifted

"Sweet hour of prayer, sweet hour of prayer, That calls me from a world of care and bids me at my Father's throne make all my wants and wishes known!" I was a young woman caught up in the beautiful idea of this song. I decided I would take an hour and go before the throne of Heaven. It only took about five minutes before I found myself checking my watch to see if an hour was up. Something wasn't right but what was it?

In all the other spiritual disciplines I find myself doing something. Bible reading, study, meditation etc. all these involve effort on my part. But what I find when I pray is that it requires humility. When I look at the meaning of the word humility I find that it means to be close to the ground. In prayer the posture is often to kneel or even to prostrate yourself before the Lord. Maybe this is why I don't have as much trouble with next phrase of the song.

"In seasons of distress and grief, my soul has often found relief, and oft escaped the tempter's snare by thy return,sweet hour or prayer." I find it much easier for me to humble myself in prayer when I am in seasons of distress and grief. I think this is because the situation has already done the job of humbling me. In these times I become like a child who recognizes her need for her father.

"And since he bids me seek his face, believe his word and trust his grace, I'll cast on him my every care, and wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer." Again in these word I see humility. Acknowledging that I am not the master of my own fate but that I need to trust his grace. "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplications with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God."Philippians 4:6 The opposite of humbly calling on God in prayer is to carry with anxiety the weight of my own worries.

Lord Jesus, thank you for giving me this gift of communion with you in the form of prayer. Although I count it sweet I look forward to the day when, "I view my home and take my flight: This robe of flesh I'll drop and rise to seize the ever lasting prize; and shout, while passing thro' the air, "Farewell, farewell, sweet hour of prayer."

No comments:

Post a Comment