Wednesday, October 5, 2011

What does it take to see God's Glory?

It's been about a year since I began praying daily that God would allow me to have a humble heart. Most people who hear about my prayer ask if I'm crazy.Humility isn't like a package found under the tree Christmas morning; instead it comes from choosing to put pride to death. I was talking to a friend of mine this weekend about the things that have happened this year and their effect on me. They were not pleasant things and yet God has used them in my life to humble me.

I woke up the next morning,after our conversation thinking about Isaiah 28: 23-29 "Dill is not threshed with a threshing sledge, nor is a cart wheel rolled over cumin, but dill is beaten out with a stick, and cumin with a rod, Does one crush grain for bread? No, he does not thresh forever; when he drives his cart wheels over it with his horses, he does not crush it. This also comes from the Lord of hosts; he is wonderful in counsel and excellent in wisdom." What I see is that God does what is necessary to make me useful. We have walnut trees. I use the walnuts, but only if I remove the hull. In the same way I believe that I am only useful to God with a humble heart. Sometimes it's a painful process, but I trust God because he is,"wonderful in counsel and excellent in wisdom."

Some where during the year my prayer changed. My focus shifted. I began to say, "Lord, glorify yourself." My prayer was a reflection of John the Baptist when he said, "He must increase and I must decrease."  When I go outside on a dark starry night I can see the stars best if there is no artificial light shinning. This is what I am finding as I pray for humility. When the artificial light of my own pride is taken out of the way, others have a better opportunity of seeing Christ in me.

Lord Jesus, I want my life to be useful for Your Kingdom. I want to decrees and have You increase. I want to see Your glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment