Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Sophomore and the Shepherd

"Have you declared your major? What are you going to do with the rest of your life?" In the Sophomore year of college you are expected to know this. This will determine your future. This is also a major reason why many Sophomores in college suffer from depression and anxiety attacks!

I am one who likes to make plans. For many years I have had planners were I charted my course for the year, planning what I wanted to do and when I wanted to do it. This is not a bad thing unless somewhere in the charting of my course I begin to feel like I am in control of my future. Many years ago I found Proverbs 19:21 that I write at the top of my planner, "Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but its the purpose of the Lord that will stand."

When I am with "Sophomores" who are planning what to do with their lives I tell them what I tell myself, "It is good to make planes but don't forget who is in control. 'Trust in the Lord with your whole heart, don't lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he will direct your path'." Proverbs 3:5,6

I have sat beside several people at the end of their life and I see no planners beside their bed but there is something I have consistently encountered. "Sarah,will you say Psalm 23 with me?", and I do, "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want." In someways they are like Sophomores getting ready to take their place in an unknown world. When they have put their trust in the Lord and know him as their Shepherd they are at peace.

Lord Jesus, you are the Good Shepherd. Help me to daily relinquish to you the burden of being the one who is in control of all that happens in my life and the lives of those I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment