Saturday, October 15, 2011

Dealing with Anger

I was so angry yesterday that I really wanted to hurt someone and I think I would have if it hadn't been for my husband. Jesus said, "If anyone would be my disciple he must daily deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me." I needed my husband's help with the crucifying of my flesh yesterday.

Anger is such a strong emotion. It's not a sin, it's an emotion. It's part of the way God chose to create us. I think it plays an important role in our lives. Anger is meant to protect us and the people we love from danger. When someone does something that hurts my children I really get angry! Then what! How am I supposed to respond as a Christian?

When my children were younger I had them memorize several Bible verses about anger. I'm reviewing those verses because I need to remind myself how to control this emotion. "A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control." Proverbs 29:11 I think this goes back to what Jesus said about being His disciple. If I choose to daily follow Christ I also choose to let Him be in control and not my anger.

Proverbs also says that someone who is quick to anger acts foolishly. On the contrary another verse says that, "Whoever is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city." Proverbs 16: 32 When I think about this I think about how mighty rushing waters can cause great destruction. However, if that energy is harnessed it can be of great value.

Lord Jesus, sometimes I feel so mad I just want to give full vent to my anger. But more than giving vent my emotions I truly want to be your disciple. I surrender to your Spirit. Help me to be quick to hear,slow to speak, and slow to anger.

No comments:

Post a Comment