Friday, October 21, 2011

What About the Other Babies?

Have you ever compared baby Moses and baby Jesus?

Moses was born when a decree had gone out from the King of Egypt that the midwives were to kill the all the male children born to the Hebrew women. They were to be cast into the Nile. God turned this around and used a baby floating on the Nile to be the one to lead His people out of captivity. Pharaoh's own daughter brought up this child in Pharaoh's household as a prince of Egypt. God's power is displayed in our weakness. Yet, my heart asks the question, "What about the other babies?"

The God of the Universe choose a young poor Jewish maiden to be the mother of the Messiah. Herod the King sent out a decree that all the male children in Bethlehem two years old or under were to be killed. Joseph, Mary and the baby fled to Egypt, fulfilling the prophecy of Jeremiah, "Out of Egypt I called my son." Once more the power of the mighty to destroy a baby is thwarted by the power of the Almighty. Yet, my heart asks the question, "What about the other babies?"

It was during a difficult dark chapter of my life when I discovered I was expecting a baby. Yet as the weeks turned into months, I began to welcome the thought that there was another heart that beat beneath my heart. My mind began to thrill at the thought that I was carrying another life within me. Because of all the turmoil around me I kept my baby a secret.

In the third month something went wrong. I drove myself to the doctor's office. In retrospect, I realize what a bad decision that was. They took me to have an ultra sound. That was when I knew my baby had died. I sat in the hall way surround by pregnant women my mind blurred by pain. My husband came and took me to the hospital. Then it was over. My baby was gone.

I don't know if it was a dream or a vision, but somehow in the depth of my sorrow when the labor was over and the life of my baby ended I saw Jesus. He was standing at the foot of my bed holding a baby. He had two other children at His side. "Thank you, Sarah, for being faithful to carry these children for all the days I have written in my book for them." I was comforted.

When I was a young girl, I told my mother I wanted to have more faith. She told me that faith would grow as I began to read God's word. As I began to read God's word I began to see God's power but I saw something else I saw God's love. I began to see that faith is really resting in the power and love of God even when I do not understand the direction He is leading.

Lord Jesus, long ago I learned that there are times when the plans that you have are beyond my ability to understand. I have found that there are times that my heart is so blinded by pain I can't see you. But most of all as I have read your word and learned to rest in your power I have found I can always trust you heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment