Friday, October 14, 2011

When the Valley of Tears becomes a place of refreshment

I was talking to my daughter after she had gone through her treatment for cancer and she spoke about how close she felt to God. It reminded me of the Valley of Baca.

"Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage. As they pass the Valley of Baca, they make it a place of springs..."Psalm 84:5-6 Another interpretation for the Valley of Baca is the Valley of Tears. What can change the Valley of Tears into a place of springs and refreshment?

I have seen it go both ways. I have watched people go through heartbreak and become people who encourage others who are going through similar grief. I have also known those who became bitter from their difficult experiences and pass that bitterness to all they meet. The difference can be found in the preceding verse. "Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage."

My daughter told me how she lay on the table waiting for her treatment and meditating on God. She found what she was looking for. She found her strength in God. But there is more to it than that there is also "setting their hearts on pilgrimage.” To set your heart on pilgrimage means you understand that this life is not all there is.

Lord Jesus, you have loved me and by your grace you have given me eternal encouragement and good hope. You have encouraged my heart and strengthened me and shown me how the Valley of Tears becomes a place of refreshment. Thank you for letting me see this transformation in my children's lives as well.

1 comment:

  1. The one year Bible for October 14 is dealing with the Valley of Baca. Thank you Sarah!

    ReplyDelete