Wednesday, October 19, 2011

With Perspective Comes Comfort

My friend and I were talking about how our understanding of people and events changed as we matured. I was thinking about this in respect to my study of Scripture as well.

I am at an age where I am beginning to understand what my grandfather meant when he would read from the last chapter of Ecclesiastes, "Remember also your Creator in the days of your youth, before the evil days come and the years draw near of which you will say, "I have no pleasure in them." before the sun and the light  and the moon are the stars are darkened and the clouds return after the rain, in the day when the keepers of the house tremble, and the strong men are bent, and the grinders cease because they are few, and those who look through the window are dimmed..." When I was younger this was simply poetry now I see it drawing nearer as reality.

As my physical eyes dim my spiritual eyes are drawn to the prophets. I have no desire to ague about the different views of eschatology. I have no desire to draw a chart and explain to anyone exactly what God is planning to to and exactly when he is planning to do it. What my heart is longing for as I study prophecy is to see God's glory! As I read the prophets my heart is overwhelmed by his love and his eternal plans.

As I stand with my loved ones who are at the brink of eternity I find comfort in Isaiah 25:8, "He will swallow up death forever; and the Lord God will wipe away tears from all faces, and the reproach of his people he will take away from all the earth, for the Lord has spoken."

When I was younger I felt I had a greater since of control than I do now. As I look into the prophets I see more clearly the heart of God. I no longer rest in my power to control the circumstances of my life but rest instead in the steadfast love of a Sovereign God. "For the mountains may depart and the hill be removed, but my steadfast love shall not depart from you, and my covenant of peace shall not be removed," says the Lord , who has compassion on you" (Isaiah 54:10).

Lord Jesus, I believe your words are trustworthy and true. I believe you have not hidden yourself or your plans from those who are willing to seek you like hidden treasure. You have told us, "Behold, I am coming soon. Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book. "The Spirit and the Bride say, ‘Come’. And let the one who hears say, ‘Come’. And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price”(Revelation 22:17). Lord Jesus, I am thirsty, and I am watching, and I am praying, "Come."

2 comments:

  1. Mommy, your words brought such comfort last night in such a day of emotional ups and downs. After the news of the death of my friend, I finally got to sit down and read your post that I'd been trying to read all day long. I guess I understand now why I never seemed to have time during the day. God knew when your message would mean the most. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My little girl to understand life you must look to the God of eternity.

    ReplyDelete