Saturday, October 22, 2011

Living in the Middle of a Trilogy

I can still see her kneeling by the bed, her long gray hair flowing down her back like a veil. I would listen to my grandmother calling out the names of all who were dear to her, and I knew she was talking to God. At night I would climb into the bed beside her, wrapped in the safe, warm comfort of her love. I would rest my head on her chest, listening to her heart beat as she would read God's word aloud so that I could learn to know His voice like she did. At church she lifted her voice in joyful songs of praise. She held nothing back; I stood so close to her I could feel her whole body vibrating with passionate praise.

When I was thirteen, my grandmother came to live with us. I stood in the doorway peering into the dark room. Grandmother's hair hug limp about her face. She was weeping as she sat rocking in the darkness. I went in and wrapped my arms around her to comfort her. Grandmother's voice was full of mournful sorrow. She was suffering from dementia. Although the disease dimmed my grandmother light, it could not extinguish it.

My grandmother taught me many things. I listened to her prayers, and as I grew I watched them be answered one by one. I saw my mother pick up the torch of faith and hold it high for all her children and grandchildren to see. Though I was a child, I recognized that God was using even my grandmother's illness in answer some of the prayers I heard her pray. I learned that people die, but prayers never die.

Sometimes I feel like I am living in the middle book of a trilogy. The first part of the trilogy is full of promise; the last part is full of glorious victory; but the middle part of the story is full of tension. When I was a little girl wrapped up in the warmth of my grandmother's love listening to her heart beat, she was listening to the heart beat of her Heavenly Father. It was in His word I heard the rest of the story. This is what He said, "Behold, I am coming soon."

Lord Jesus, you told us that in this world we would have tribulation, but that in You we would have peace. Sometimes this world is not a friendly place, but You told us to take heart, because You have overcome the world. Lord Jesus, I am living my life full of anticipation, watching for You with tear-filled eyes.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I just read this over. It is incredibly beautiful. Your dad and I loved hearing you read it Saturday. You are truly a remarkable woman and you are loved greatly. Mom

    ReplyDelete