Thursday, February 23, 2012

Ah! I See Myself

I watched a documentary yesterday about babies. There were no words spoken just observation. I watched the babies births. At first, the babies are simply held and loved and nursed but then I watched as these little ones were introduced to the world around them. I watched the parents as they taught the infants to speak by holding the child on their lap and looking into their faces and slowly forming sounds and then words. The parents would also hold the baby on their lap and show them books that opened up a bigger world then they had yet experienced.

As I considered these things I saw a parallel to my spiritual birth and growth. Like the infant who was nursing at it's mother's breast so I craved the comfort and nourishment of the gospel. I needed to know God as El Shaddia the All Sufficient God. “Like newborn babies crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation.” 1Peter 2:2 After birth in order to grow up there has to be nourishment.

When I looked at the infant face to face with it's parent leaning to understand and then to speak I thought of 2 Timothy 3:16,17. “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God is thoroughly equipped for every good work.” Just as these babies were taught and rebuked and corrected by their parents so I am as I read God's word. The parents I observed enjoyed their infants but didn't want them to stay infants.

As the child grew older the parents would begin to exposes their children to the world around them. Sometimes this frustrated the child and he would cry but the parent was always nearby. I feel this frustration sometimes when I am trying to understand what has been prophesied in Scripture. I like things to be comforting or at least easy but that’s not always true when God is teaching me the things he wants to reveal to me in His word. “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things that are revealed belong to us...” Deuteronomy 29:29 Even though these things belong to me I must work hard to present myself as, “a worker who has no need to be ashamed , rightly handling the word of truth.” 2 Timothy 2:15

Dear Heavenly Father, I marvel as You who are God Almighty, Eternal,and Omnipotent stoop down to teach me to understand Your voice and open my spiritual eyes to worlds my earthly eyes cannot see. “For the Lord God does nothing without revealing his secret to his servants the prophets.” Amos 3:7 Father, sometimes I am like the Apostle John who “wept much” when you showed him the marvels in Revelations or I am like Daniel who fell asleep he was so overwhelmed. This is my prayer as I come to You like a young child comes to her Father, please let me be “filled with the knowledge of God's will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding.”


No comments:

Post a Comment