Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Whose List?

“Plan your work, and work your plan.” I really like this way of doing things. I like the since of control it gives me. When I can look back over my list at the end of the day and see a check mark beside every item it's been a good day. I don't really like to have my plans interrupted. I plan into my day the good deeds I intend to do, after all I am a good person. I don't mind doing things for others as long as I have them written ahead of time on my list. Isn't this the right way to do things?

This morning I read about a farmer who said instead of doing a lot of planning each year he had opted for a different way of doing things. He said instead of spending all his time planning he chose to listen. What he discovered was that when he spent time listening for guidance instead of planning he was more relaxed and had more fun. He even said that in the end he achieved more than he could otherwise.

I think one of the reasons that my lists can be an enemy of peace is that when I make my list I often am presuming on the future. The Lord has promised me a daily portion do I really need more? Sometimes when I make a list of all the things I want to accomplish in a day I am putting myself in a position I do not posses. I am not the master of my own fate. What I do have is a sweet assurance that a daily portion of grace has been provided for me.

I don't see Jesus having the same irritation I do when people interrupted what He was doing, why? I find the answer in Philippians two. “Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant.” No servant comes to his master with a list and says, “This is what I am doing today.” However, I do think he listens with humility as his master gives him a list for the day. The master also gives him all the provisions necessary to complete the tasks.

Lord Jesus, help me to humbly listen for Your guidance today. Help me to rest in the assurance that with every task you give me to do today you will also provide the grace necessary for me to accomplish it. I want to follow Your example and not only look out for my own interests but also the interests of others, even if I don't have it written ahead of time on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment