Monday, February 13, 2012

"What Time Is It?"

“Mom, what time is it?” Although this is not an unusual question for one of my children to ask me this time it was. My daughter was calling me from a different time zone. She was sitting in her car wondering why everything was dark and all the buildings were locked. When I told her the time she figured out what had happened. Her cell phone had picked up the wrong signal and had given her the wrong time. Now what was she supposed to do?

I could hear the frustration growing in her voice, so I asked her a question. “Do you believe God is sovereign?” I paused for her to think about it. Then I asked my next question. “Is it possible He might have a reason for allowing you to get to school an hour early? Since you have access to His throne by prayer why don't you talk to Him and ask Him why your there early.” I heard a long sigh as the tension was released. How you see God affects how you respond to the circumstances of your life.

I believe that God is sovereign and that He loves me but I still struggle when I am faced with unexpected situations. My initial response is to get angry. I get angry because things are not going the way I planned for them to go. Things don't always go the way I planned because I am not sovereign. I am not sovereign but God is. When I humble myself and acknowledge that God is in control and I am not then I can ask, “Lord, what do You want me to do?”

Latter that day my daughter called me and I asked her if she had discovered why God allowed her to get to school an hour early, this is what she told me.“It was the first class of a new semester, an 8:00 class. We were all tired. Our teacher is from China so English is his second language. At first I struggled to pay attention but I kept thinking about our conversation this morning and asking myself and then asking God, 'What do You have for me Lord?' As I listened to the lecture I realized what I was hearing could change the direction of my life.” “So do you think that was why God had you get to class an hour early?”, I asked. “No Mom,” she said, “I think I needed to be reminded again the God loves me and that He is in control.”

Ah Sovereign Lord, I know You love me, I know You are in control yet still I struggle. Today please help me to relinquish my will and humbly accept the things You allow into my life. Thank You for giving me access to You throne but most of all thank You for loving me.

No comments:

Post a Comment