Friday, February 10, 2012

God's Celestial Navigation System

In places where there is little artificial light the darkness of the night can not only be seen but felt. Without the artificial light not only is the darkness experienced but also the brilliance of the starlight. These celestial lights have been used for millennium as navigational tools. I believe that just as the stars shine in the darkness of the night so to the glory of God can be seen when we go through the dark and difficult times in our lives. 

When God chose Moses to be his spokesman, Moses objected because he felt inadequate. “O Lord, I'm not very good with words. I never have been, and I'm not now, even though you've spoken to me. I get tongue-tied, and my words get tangled.” God didn't respond, “Oh that's right I forgot you have trouble speaking clearly!” What He said instead was, “Who has made man's mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the LORD?” (Exodus 4) How does God glorify Himself? I believe He takes the things I consider to be my weakness' and turns them around so that they become the very thing He chooses to make Himself known to those around me. This can be a bit scary because it means I have to trust that when God takes me places I don't want to go it's for a good purpose.

The stars are always shining but they can be seen best at night. God has answered my desire to bring Him glory by allowing me to experience some difficult days and long nights. As I have walked in the darkness, my vision often blurred by tears, I have been blessed by the sweetness of His presence. I have found joy and wonder in the midnight blackness because I have found a purpose beyond myself. “The heavens declare the glory of God; the sky above proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours out speech, night to night reveals knowledge.” (Psalm 19)

I have found in these difficult periods of my life that I have experienced the glory of God, my understanding of His love for me has been magnified. God is so economical in His ways because while He is using my weakness to show me who He really is He is also redeeming my pain and using it to help navigate others into His presence. In doing this He allows me to become part of His celestial navigation plan. He breaths meaning into the dark night of my soul and by infusing my life with His presence and grace I become a star in the night that others can see to lead them into His glorious presence.

O Lord, thank You for the privilege of belonging to You. Thank You for giving meaning to my life, my weakness and even my sorrow. Life is hard with or without You as Lord but when You are Lord You redeem all the suffering and pain. Thank You that You not only magnify Yourself to me but allow me to be part of Your celestial navigation system so that I can magnify You to others.






No comments:

Post a Comment