Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Finding Rest For Both Body And Soul

“Bong,bong,bong,bong,bong,” I was listening to the clock announce the time with a since a relief that I had been able to sleep through the night. But it didn't stop at five bongs it went on to bong seven more times. Midnight, it wasn't time to get but I was wide awake!

I have always had a love hate relationship with sleep. I respect the fact that God gave me a body that needs sleep in order to function correctly. I see sleep as a practical act of humility. I think it's very interesting that when the Bible describes a day in Genesis it says, “And there was evening and there was morning and the first day.”What I see in that order is that the day begins as I'm getting ready to be asleep. This is humbling. I guess God can run the universe with out my help. Why then do I wake at midnight with a heavy concern about things over which I have no control?

John was in prison. Jesus was at the height of His earthly ministry but John, who had announced His coming, was in prison. This was confusing so John sent word by his disciples, “Are you the one who is to come, or shall we look for another?” Matthew 11I understand John's confusion. I don't always understand what God is doing in my life either. Sometimes I think, “Lord, if I'm am following You shouldn't my life be easier than this?” Usually I'm thinking this at Midnight when I can't sleep.

The chapter in Matthew begins with John's question and it ends with an invitation from Jesus. “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your soul.” Jesus always offers more than I ask for. I want to sleep uninterrupted through the night He offers me rest for my soul. But then if I have rest for my soul I will be able to sleep through the night.

Lord Jesus, I like John do not always understand what is happening in my life and in the lives of those I love but You invite me to trust You. I am reminded by Your invitation in Matthew of what I read last night at Midnight. “Cast your burden on the Lord and He will sustain you.” Psalm 55:22 Lord Jesus I find again and again as I humble myself in the night bringing to You the burden I cannot bear that You not only carry my burden You carry me as well and I find rest for my soul as well as for my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment