Sunday, July 1, 2012

A Risky Prayer?

I thought I had found the perfect prayer for me to pray. I had studied the book of Ezekiel earlier this year and I had read where God caused Ezekiel's tongue to cleave to the roof of his mouth unless he was speaking for God. When I was asked by my prayer group what they could pray for me I shared this idea with them. One of the women in the group cocked her head and said, "That's a pretty risky prayer for a speaker to pray is't it?"

I was a keynote speaker at a family camp when I made this prayer request. I didn't think it was risky at the time because I had prayed over all the talks I was going to give. I felt fairly secure. That is when it happened. God answered my prayer.

I was speaking that night about how to find your balance in a unbalanced world. I talked about facing your fears and letting the love of God bring you to a place where you have rest for your soul. Every time I went over my notes I kept hearing the Lord ask, "Sarah, do you believe what you are saying?"

The time came for me to speak. I stood before the crowd and all I was able to do was give them the outline of what I had planned to say then I found I could say nothing else. I told everyone to go to the place they feared the most and ask God to meet them there. I don't know how long I stood there unable to say any thing but, "For the eyes of the LORD move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His." (2 Chronicles 16:9) So many people came to me later to tell me what they had heard. What they had heard had not come from my mouth.

Lord Jesus, thank You for showing me what I should already know. You don't need my mouth to speak Your message to Your children. Thank You for meeting me in my own fearful place as I stood before a room full of people unable to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment