Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Bound...but not by fear

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice." Philippians 4:4 How? How can I rejoice when my heart is broken am I to pretend? Am I supposed to be a fake? Isn't that what the Bible calls a hypocrite? Is this verse telling me to be a hypocrite?

I need the next verse to help me understand how I can, "Rejoice in the Lord always". "Let your gentleness be known to everyone." A horse is gentled when he submits to his master. My gentleness can be known to others when I submit to Jesus and become a, "prisoner of hope". As a "prisoner of hope" I am bound by the love of Christ. Just as a horse can be taken onto a battle field when their master is near so I can face life's situation, that cause my eyes to sting with tears, and rejoice. It is because my savior and the lover of my soul is near.

Isn't this hypocrisy a lack of honesty? No, because in this passage I am told not to be anxious but to pray and my prayers often overflow with tears. "Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning." Psalm 30:5 I am not a prisoner of my circumstances but I am a prisoner, a prisoner of hope. I have put my confidence in the person and promises of Jesus Christ so in faith I cry out.

I find great freedom in God's word to grieve, to mourn, to lament. However, it is not grief that defines me but joy. The Sun always rises. I find that His mercy is new every morning. I wake bound to the truth that, "This is the day that the Lord has made I will rejoice and be glad in it."Psalm 118:24

Lord Jesus, I am your prisoner of hope bound fast by your unfailing love. By the power of Your Holy Spirit grant that I might live by faith and not by what I see. Let my life be defined by Your promise. "Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the Lord, who has compassion on you." Isaiah 54:10 Thank you Jesus that the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding ,will guard my heart and my mind. Gladly do I surrender myself to you to be gentled by Your love.When you are near I can rejoice,always.

No comments:

Post a Comment