Friday, September 30, 2011

The Master and the canvas

"Are you willing to be the canvas upon which I paint my glory?" This is the question I hear as I pray. My response is simple,"Yes, Lord."

The picture to be painted on the canvas was predetermined in the heart of God before the world began. The painting is a picture of redemption and forgiveness. The colors are glorious reflecting His rich and lavish  grace. There is mystery and insight as each stroke of his brush reveals his love and his glory.

To be a canvas for God's glory is to is to begin to know his heart. As I begin to see the picture unfold I count everything else as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing him. When I relinquish the right to make the painting of my life glorify me and instead choose to bring glory to God I also begin a quest to know what the glory of God is.

Part of the glory that I see is the resurrection of Jesus. And so I pray, " Oh Lord, yes, paint my life's story with the power of your resurrection." So the Master takes his brush and I see the splashes of color that represent life. The painting on the canvas is full of light and color and joy. It is a painting of victory. But there is more.

To be canvas surrendered to the Master means I also share in his sufferings. These are the colors of a darker hue. Each stroke is placed with a gentle touch.These are not the colors I would choose if I were the one who held the brush but I have chosen to relinquish my earthly perspective to his heavenly one.

It is hard sometimes for me to appreciate the art work of the Master. Just as it is hard to fully appreciate any art if you stand to close to the canvas. The only way I can interpret what is being created is to look at it  through the lens of his word.

Lord Jesus, I ask that you redeeming love be clearly seen in my life. Please let the canvas of my heart be a place your glory fully displayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment