Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Keeping track of time

"Maybe God has a message in this for you", my sister said when she came to visit me in the hospital. The day before I had gone to the hospital having difficulty breathing and the feeling like I was being stabbed in the chest with a  burning knife. When I got home I opened my "One Year Bible" to read the passage for that day and found:

My heart grew hot within me, and as I meditated, the fire burned; then I spoke with my tongue: "Show me, O Lord, my life's end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life. You have made my days a mere handbreath; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Each man's life is but a breath." Psalms 39:4,5

I often set a timer when I know I have to go somewhere. Being aware of how much time I have to spend on different tasks helps me be a good steward of my time. I think this is true with life in general when I realize that my time is limited I can see the value of it more clearly.

This year I was reading in my "One Year Bible" again. I found the verses in Psalm 39 highlighted and for a minute I couldn't remember why I had highlighted them. Suddenly is dawned on me what had happen the year before. That day I also went to visit a friend who was very ill. It was the last time I saw her alive. She died latter that week.

Lord Jesus, help me remember that, "Man is a mere phantom as he goes to and fro: He bustles about, but only in vain; he heaps up wealth, not knowing who will get it. But now, Lord what do I look for? My hope is in you." Psalm 39:6,7

No comments:

Post a Comment