Thursday, September 1, 2011

Reflections on prayer

Maybe it was just a bad place for a mirror. I couldn't help but notice that whenever we were eating and my guests caught a glimpse of their reflection in the mirror that they would have a hard time looking anywhere but at themselves. Then I tried sitting opposite the mirror and I understood, I was captivated by my own reflection.

I think this is sometimes true when I come to God in prayer. My prayers are often more reflective of how I see myself than how I see God. Often when I have sinned that is where I want to start. "Dear God, please forgive me!" But this is not how Jesus taught us to pray. He taught us to begin with, "Our Father who art in Heaven." The focus isn't on me or my sin the focus is on a relationship with a father who is in Heaven. I am to be a child going into the presence of her father and not a criminal going into the presence of a judge.

"My soul is cast down within me; therefore I remember you..." Psalm 42:5 The next Psalm continues with this focus on God and not self. "Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell. Then will I go to the alter of God, to God my joy and my delight. I will praise you with the harp, O God, my God. Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, My Savior and my God."

When I reflect only on myself I become downcast. When I remember that I have access to the throne of Heaven and I let God's light and truth guide me to my Heavenly Father my heart is filled with hope. There is a place for confession of sin it is important to confess my sin. However, I believe that before I reflect on my sin I should spend time looking intently at my Heavenly Father.

Lord Jesus, thank you for giving me a pattern for prayer. Thank you also for showing me the heart of the Father to whom I pray.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, Mommy. This one is so wonderful! And such wonderful timing too. Thank you for being such an open channel.

    ReplyDelete