Saturday, September 17, 2011

Because You are worthy of my trust I wait

"Wait for me!" Waiting for someone implies that you trust them.

When I see my children struggling with painful circumstances I embrace them and whisper, "Trust in the Lord with you whole heart. Do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your path."  Proverbs 3:5 What I am saying is, "Wait, I know right now things seem really bad, but wait. God is faithful. He will come through for you."

As I watch my children struggle my heart is filled with pain. I want to take all their hurt away but I am their mother not their Savior. As I watch and pray I am embraced by the Holy Spirit who whispers to my Spirit," You must trust me with your whole heart, do not lean on your own understanding." So I join my children in watching and waiting expectantly to see God's faithfulness in every situation.

In our family we have a saying that the first sign of maturity is delayed gratification. I believe this is true in spiritual maturity as well. How could the psalmist say, "I waited patiently for the Lord" Psalm 40:1 ? It was because He had experienced God's faithfulness to him in the past.

This kind of waiting and trusting also shows that I am looking for something outside myself to meet my needs. This is the encouragement I give my children because I have known the faithfulness of the Lord. Like the psalmist I have experienced what is like to have my cry heard. I too have been lifted from the pit and have had my feet set on a rock and my steps made secure. Yet watching my children go through this period of waiting is hard. It takes me to another level of maturity.

Lord Jesus, I come to you watching and waiting and trusting. I join with the psalmist and say, "O my Strength, I watch for you; you, O God, are my fortress, my loving God." Psalm 59:9

1 comment:

  1. Sarah - yes! Waiting patiently on the Lord - He is faithful, always!

    ReplyDelete