Tuesday, December 20, 2011

In The Presence Of A Holy God

How are unholy people supposed to come before a holy God? I always feel like I should begin my prayers by telling God I'm sorry. I know in many cultures when they think of coming into God's presents they do penance. This sometimes involves things like processions, crawling on you knees to church, or walking barefoot on the cobblestone streets. In some cases with faces are covered. There are those who carry heavy stalks covered in thorns through the street. These men walk in agony through the streets trying to purify themselves of sin and longing to come before God. I understand their desire to do penitence it's the same as my desire to begin my prayers telling God I am so sorry for my sin. But when I look at Scripture I see a different way.

"Come into his presence with singing! Know that the LORD, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name!" What I see in Psalm 100 is an invitation not to do penance, not to stare at my sin and shame, but to inter into the loving presence of God. I always have to be careful not to use to many exclamation marks when I write but there are six exclamation marks in the first four verses of this psalm! How are unholy people to come into the presence of a holy God? With joy and gladness and singing and thanksgiving and praise blessing His name focused on His love and not our unworthiness.

Surely this would be enough but there is more. In Psalm 100 it says that we are the sheep of his pasture  but sometimes sheep stray. What then? Jesus told us,"If a man has a hundred sheep and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go in search of the one that went astray? And if he finds it, truly, I say to you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety- nine that never went astray." Matthew 18: 12 Again the terms of fellowship are not based on the straying sheep but the faithful shepherd and there is joy and rejoicing.

"For the LORD is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generation." Psalm 100 I am a mother and a grandmother how wonderful to know that the love of God is steadfast and unfailing even when I or the ones I love fail. My heart is full of joy and gladness and thanksgiving because I am welcomed in his presence and his faithfulness extends through the generation.

Lord Jesus, thank you that you didn't wait for us to be good enough to come to you. You came to us and announced your coming by angels who spoke to the shepherds saying,"Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord."

No comments:

Post a Comment