Saturday, December 17, 2011

Songs In The Night

The day had been long and I was tired. I welcomed the night. I climbed into bed ready to relinquish my conscious state for  blissful sleep. My head sank into the pillow, I was cocooned in the warmth of my blankets as I drifted into the restful night. Then suddenly I was awake.

There was no light the night was black. My mind and body were exhausted but I was awake. The blankets now felt like chains that bound me. The pillow was suffocating like my thoughts. A parade of worrisome and anxious thoughts trooped into my mind. The darkness and my fatigued state accentuated the reality that I was not in control.

Many years ago I learned the verse, "I remember you upon my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night; for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me." Psalm 63:6-8 When I was a little girl and would wake up with night terrors I would call out for my father. There is something about being awaken in the night that makes you seek out someone stronger than yourself. Now as a grandmother and mother I still cry out in prayer to one who is stronger than I am.

"By day the LORD commands his steadfast love, and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life." Psalm 42:8 My song in the night is a song about the unfailing love of God. My spirit sings it loudly to drown out the voices of despair. The theme of salvation and redemption quiet both my soul and my mind. He is able to do for me and those I love what I cannot.

This morning I read Psalm 136. Twenty six times in twenty six verses it states,"His love endures forever." This is the chorus of my song in the night. Hearing it again and again I am able to find rest for my mind and my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment