Sunday, December 4, 2011

Free To Be Who God Created You To Be

Sarah, will you upholster my car?

A little back ground check on this question would reveal two facts. One, I had never upholstered anything in my life and two, the question was asked by my young husband who believed I could do anything. There is something about knowing you are loved that enables you to do more than you ever imagined you could do. I did upholster his car and when it was finished it looked pretty good.

"Love was when God became a man locked in time and space without rank or place. Love was God born to Jewish kin. Just a carpenter with some fishermen." This song reminds me of Philippians 2:6 "Christ Jesus,who though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing ,taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." What a picture of love! But how did his love change the people he loved?

Who did Jesus chose for his companions, not the wealthy highly educated people of his day. He went to the ordinary but when they were exposed to the love of God they were never the same. In John 8 Jesus said, "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." Again he said,"So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." This truth of the saving love of God sets the captive free.

Down through the ages this amazing transformation has taken place in those who have accepted the love of God. Ordinary people doing extraordinary things. How? "God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him." 1 John 4:16 What an extraordinary truth! It is a truth that sets you free to be the person God created you to be.

Lord Jesus, as I meditate on the gift of Christmas I am full of wonder. You are the perfect gift of love from the Father. Your love sets me free. Your love gives power meaning to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment