Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Clinging God's Kindness Or Clinging To Worthless Idols

The call came at 3 A.M. My daughter's car had a flat tire and she was pulled over on the side of the interstate. My husband was attempting to explain over the phone what she needed to do but she was tired,cold and frightened. That's when he showed up. An older man stopped to help her and within minutes he had changed the tire for her and she was on her way. I thanked God for the kindness of a stranger.

"I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do,or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Ettiene De Grellet I believe kindness is a reflection of the love of God and a gift of the Holy Spirit.

This morning I read the book Jonah. In it I saw the precious loving kindness of God inviting all men to take refuge in the shadow of His wings. Jonah was to be God's messenger of kindness but he didn't want the job. He rebelled against God and received the judgement he thought the people of Nineveh deserved. But in the midst of judgement God extended kindness to Jonah the kindness He also wanted to show to the people of Nineveh. I learn from Jonah that when I extend mercy to others I position myself to receive mercy from God.

"In my distress I called to the Lord. and he answered me. From the depths of the grave I called for help, and you listened to my cry...To the roots of the mountains I sank down; the earth beneath barred me in forever. But you brought my life up from the pit, O LORD my God." The mercy God extended to Jonah was a picture of the kindness he wanted to share with the people of Nineveh as well.

I wonder sometimes how I represent the God I serve. Do I neglect or defer opportunities to show kindness to those around me? The truthful answer is yes. I am often like Jonah passing judgment on others. I am often self centered and cling to my agenda like a god and do not want to interrupt my plans to be bothered by the needs of others. Not just the needs of strangers but the needs of those I supposedly "love".

Lord Jesus, your word teaches that love is patient and kind. I confess I lack this kindness but I also believe that it is a gift of your Holy Spirit. Your word also teaches that,"Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs." Jonah 2:8 Lord Jesus, I confess my sin of clinging to the idol of my time,my things, my value. I lay them down before you and ask that I might receive the grace to show kindness to my fellow creatures today,for I shall not pass this way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment