Monday, December 5, 2011

And Then What?

My sister rides bicycles. She rides them up and down mountains!

My sister and I have the same parents. We share the same genetic background. We have the same number of muscles in our bodies. But we are not the same. What's the difference? My sister has disciplined her body and exercised her muscles so that she is able to do things I wouldn't even try.

I have another sister who gave me an amazing electronic reading device. It wasn't my birthday. It wasn't Christmas. There was no occasion that would make me think I deserved this gift. It was given to me simply because I have an extraordinarily generous sister. Now the gift is mine and I am trying to figure out how to use it.

I see a parallel between my sister who has exercised and used her the muscles to the point that she is able to ride up and down mountains and what Paul teaches about athletes in 1 Corinthians 9:24-26. "Every athlete exercises self-control in all things." This is true of my sister with her bike riding. But there is also the athlete of the spirit who who exercises spiritual discipline. What difference does it make? I think that just as the physical muscle is strengthen by physical exercise the spiritual life is strengthened by spiritual  exercises.

I have an confession. When my sister first gave me the electronic reader I was intimidated by it. It took me a while to begin to even figure out a little of it's capacity. This reminded me of Paul's instruction to Timothy,"Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you...practice these things,devote yourself to them, so that all may see your progress." When I became a Christian I was given spiritual gifts. I have the option of developing my spiritual gifts or neglecting my spiritual gifts.

Lord Jesus, all I have I have received by your grace. Please help me be an athlete of the spirit so I can develop spiritually. Help me not neglect the Spiritual gifts you have given me but learn to use them for you glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment