Thursday, December 15, 2011

The One Who Holds The Scepter Rules

"I am the master of my fate and the captain of my ship!" That sounds nice but the truth looks more like this,"I am stressed out. I have too many options and I don't really know what I should do. “The serpent said to the woman, 'You will not surely die. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened,and you will be like God,knowing good and evil.'" (Genesis 3:4) What really happened was their eyes were opened and they realized they were naked and they hid themselves from God and death entered the world on every level. Blessing was replaced by a curse but even then there was a promise of redemption. A promise that was to come in the form of a child.

This promise is spoken of again in Isaiah 9:2-7 "The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; on them has the light shined...For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder;" I remember the first time it was explained to me that it wasn't only the government of the nations but the government of my life that was to be placed upon his shoulders. I was invited to relinquish the burden I was never intended to carry. I felt I had been invited back into the garden in the cool of the day and I could hear the sound of God walking towards me inviting me to let Him be the master of my fate and the captain of my ship.

"And his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor" On this side of eternity I still get stressed and I  and confused about what I'm supposed to be doing but I have access to the Wonderful Counselor. I no longer have to sit in the darkness of confusion. "Mighty God, Everlasting Father," When I read this I am reminded of how Jesus taught me to pray,"Our Father,who art in Heaven." When Jesus died on the cross he cried out "It is Finished!" The curse was broken and now I have an Everlasting Father to whom I approach knowing the government of my life is on His shoulders.

"Prince of Peace." There was a song I sang many years ago and one of the verses was,"Peace is the flag flown high from the castle of my heart when the king is in residence there" Some of the synonyms for peace are, calmness, quiet, tranquility and rest. If the Prince of Peace is governing my life and he is the Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, and Everlasting Father is makes since that all the synonyms for peace could be used to describe me right? So why do I wake up in the middle of the night anxious, stress out and afraid? The snake in the garden still comes to me with his lies that I can be my own god. However, when I am awaken in the darkness by a wash of anxiety I now can focus on the light of truth that the government of my life has been placed on the shoulders of Jesus Christ. The curse has been broken!

Lord Jesus, when I meditate on the way you came to earth as a baby and fulfilled the promise made in the garden my heart is filled with joy and I sing, "No more let sins and sorrows grow, nor thorns infest the ground; he comes to make his blessings flow far as the curse is found." In grateful humility I bow before you and relinquish to you the government of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment