Friday, December 2, 2011

What Were the Chances?

When I was younger I often saw my life like a smooth stone cast upon the still waters. I erroneously thought I had control over the number and direction of the ripples that would be formed. Now I stand on the shore watching the ripples cover the face of the water and all illusion of control is gone.

There is great comfort in knowing that the God who loves me is in control. One of the ways I know he is in control is when I ponder the probabilities of the prophecies of Jesus' first coming being fulfilled. The Old Testament, written over a 1,000 year period, contains 300 references to the coming Messiah. All of these were fulfilled in Jesus. One web site I visited said that," By using the modern science of probably in reference to just eight of these prophecies--the chance that any man might have lived to fulfill all eight prophecies is one in one hundred trillion!

To illustrate this: If we take 100 trillion silver dollars and lay them on the face of Texas, they would be two feet deep. Now we mark one of these silver dollars and stir the whole mess thoroughly---all over the state. Now blindfold a man and let him travel as far as he wishes, but he must pick only one silver dollar. What chance would he have of picking the right one? The same chance that the prophets would have of writing just eight of theses prophecies and having them all come true for any one man--if they had written them without God's inspiration!"

What were these prophecies about? They were about a God who loved us so much he that he sent his son to be our Savior. This is the Sovereign God of the Universe who wanted to leave no doubt that this was not done by chance.

Lord Jesus, again and again you tell me not to be afraid. Yet fear comes so naturally to me. I am constantly aware that I am not in control of my life or the lives of those I love. During this Advent season help me to rest in the truth that you have left nothing to chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment