Thursday, March 1, 2012

Following The Cues

I was trying to buy some thing at a yard sale and every time I tried the woman who was selling raised the price. Finally I got it, she didn't want me to buy the item and instead of saying that she just kept raising the price out of my range. Sometimes I'm slow picking up on the cues people give me. One of the Scriptures on guidance says, “A man's mind plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.” Proverbs 16:9

Sometimes I find myself pushing on doors that will not open. In my mind I must get through the door to reach my destination. However, if it's true that the Lord is directing my steps I think it's always a good idea when I cannot make a door open to ask the Lord if He has other plans for me. This is what I see in the story of Balaam and the talking donkey. Balaam was furious with the donkey for not going in the direction that Balaam wanted him to go in until God allowed the donkey to speak. It was only then that Balaam became aware of angle who was standing in the middle of the road with a flaming sword. Numbers 22

Once I was walking on the country road. Suddenly I felt like I had encountered a wall of fear. I have never been a fearful person so my first instinct was to ignore this feeling and keep going the problem was the feeling of fear became almost a tangible presence. Finally, I stopped and prayed. I realized that it was possible that God was using this feeling of fear to cause me to turn around. Later I found out that a murder had occurred on that road about the same time I was on my walk.

Sometimes the plans that we have for ourselves and the direction God has for us matches. Still, God calls for us to pursue our plans with a heart that is surrendered to Him. From the time my father in law was a young man he wanted a farm. For years he and his wife spent all their week ends searching for a place that would fulfill that dream but finding nothing. Finally, he prayed and told the Lord that he would give up his search if he hadn't found a farm by the time he was thirty five. He signed the papers for a farm on his thirty fifth birthday.

Lord Jesus, help me humble myself and surrender my plans to You. Please help me be sensitive to the leading of Your Holy Spirit. Give me wisdom to know. when to keep going and when to turn around and go in a different direction. By faith Lord let me be lead by the hand I cannot hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment