Friday, March 9, 2012

With a Strong Hand And An Out Stretched Arm

A sheep that has rolled over onto it's back and is unable to right it's self is a “downcast “ sheep. In this position a sheep is very vulnerable and doomed to death either by predators or dehydration if left alone. Shepherds search for sheep in this position and when they find them they put them back on their feet. If they are too weak to stand the shepherd will carry the sheep until it regains it's strength. I know what it feels like to be “downcast.” Sometimes I just can't seem to right myself and I find myself calling our for help.

When I call out for help God responds, “with a strong hand and an outstretched arm, for his steadfast love endures forever.” Psalms 136:12 Another word for steadfast is unfailing. I am so grateful for his steadfast and unfailing love and that he responds to my weakness with a strong hand and and outstretched arm instead of by saying, “Get up on your own! I can't believes you can't get this right after all this time!”

I was at work the other day and the verse on the calendar read, “Ah, Lord God! It is you who has made the heavens and the earth by your great power and by your outstretched arm! Nothing is too hard for you.” Jeremiah 32:17 What a comfort it is to me to think that this same great power and outstretched arm that made the heavens and the earth is outstretched to me. When life seems to hard for me I need to close my eyes and see this picture of steadfast love reaching out in my direction.

Sometimes when I am in this vulnerable downcast position I feel like the predators are about to come in for the kill. In times like this I am grateful that I have a shepherd. I am so grateful for the pictures I get in the Scriptures that give me a divine perspective of what is going on. “Their own arm did not save them, but your right hand and your arm, and the light of your face, for you delighted in them.” When I am vulnerable and weak and find you coming to my rescue. It is not out of duty that you come but out of love.

Lord Jesus, I would choose to always be strong but I am not. Thank You for finding me when I have lost my way. Thank You for Your strong outstretched arm that comes to my defense. I am so grateful that nothing is to hard for You but I am even more grateful for You unfailing love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment