Monday, March 19, 2012

The Composition Of A Life

Tomorrow is my birthday and as I look back over the years it seems to me that my life has been like a musical composition. Sometimes the music has been light, sometimes it has been written in minor keys and sometimes it has been written with dissonant chords. Sometimes I wonder what this composition will sound like when it is finished.

I recently read about Johann Sebastian Bach. At the beginning of most of his compositions Bach wrote the abbreviation JJ for the Latin phrase Jesu juva, which means "Jesus help," and ended with SDG(Soli Deo Gloria), which is Latin for "To God Alone the Glory." I want to write that on the composition of my life. For the beginning of each movement I want to write "Jesus help," when the the music of my life fades away I want to be able to say "To God Alone the Glory."

I read that Bach wrote each note as though God Himself was scrutinizing every musical bar and phrase. I think that is a good way to live my life as well. Letting the music of my life play before the courts of Heaven for an audience of one.

One of Bach's most acclaimed works is The Passion According to St. Matthew, which has been called one of the greatest choral works ever written was only played once while Bach was alive. It wasn't received well at all. One hundred years later Felix Mendelssohn obtained a copy and performed it using the original score. It was met with appreciation and love that has only grown with time. I think that if you begin your work with "Jesus help" and end it with "To God Alone the Glory" you don't need to worry about being "successful."

Lord Jesus, as I live my life before You as a musical composition I ask for Your help. I cannot hear the music clearly from where I am but my prayer is that You will scrutinize every musical bar and phrase. Please Lord, let it be that as the last cords fade away into silence it can be said "To God Alone the Glory."

No comments:

Post a Comment