Friday, March 30, 2012

With My Knee Bent And My Heart Lifted

There is something I learned to do as a little girl that I don't think my granddaughters have been taught to do. When I was a little girl I learned to genuflect. I learned to genuflect when I entered the church and saw the lamp flickering that represented the presence of God. My heart would swell with a since of awe as I bent my knee to the ground in worship and as a sign of respect.

When I was a child my world was loud but there was no talking at church. When I would walk into the church it was as if I were walking into another world, the silence, the candle to remind me of God's presence, and the genuflecting all prepared me for a Holy encounter with God. Lately, I have been thinking about how I come into the presence of a Holy God today.

Sometimes when I pray I kneel. I think about who God is, I think about who I am. I feel like I should begin every prayer with, “Oh God, I am so sorry!” In the presence of a Holy God I see my sins so clearly. Then I think about how Jesus taught His disciples to pray, “When you pray say Father.”

When I think about calling the God of the Universe “Father” once more my heart swells with a since of awe and wonder. My inclination is to come before Him with my head bent low but because He invites me to call Him “Father” with a gentle hand He lifts my head to behold His eyes of love. I am invited not to focus on my unworthiness but on His love.

Father, how great is this love You have lavished on me, that I should be called a child of God! Help me today to live my life in a way that will bring Your honor. Your great love humbles my heart and fills it at the same time with the wonder of Your love.   

No comments:

Post a Comment