Tuesday, March 13, 2012

"Trees" and "Iron Chariots"

There is a story in the Bible that matches a struggle I often have. It was when the people of Joseph came to Joshua with the question about their inheritance. God had blessed them, He had graciously given them an allotment in the Promised Land. The problem was that were obstacles to overcome before they could lay claim to what had been given them. I believe that I am a Christian by the grace of God yet I struggle sometimes to take hold of the promises given to me.

Joshua told them to go up into the forest and clear land for themselves. Then the people of Joseph complained about the Canaanites who lived in the plain and had chariots. Joshua responded, “You are numerous and very powerful. You will not only have one allotment but the forested hill country as well, clear it, and it's farthest limits will be yours; though the Canaanites have iron chariots and though they are strong, you can drive them out.” Joshua: 17: 14-18 God had given them the land but they were responsible to take possession of it by faith.

I think the struggle I have with my flesh is like the “trees” that the people of Joseph complained about. The trees kept them from being able to fully utilize the land they had been given. They complained about the trees, Joshua told them to remove them. I complain about my struggle with my flesh but I find in the Scriptures the admonition to do something about it. “Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, humility, meekness, and patience, baring with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.” Colossians 3:12-14 They were to by faith use the gifts God had given them and clear out the trees. I am to use by faith what God has given me to overcome my flesh.

There weren't just trees on the land there were iron chariots. I think my “iron chariot” is the fact that there is spiritual warfare going on. “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” Ephesians 6:12 Joshua told the people that though there were iron chariots in the land and their enemy was strong still they and could drive them out. In a similar way I find in Ephesians,”Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.”

Lord Jesus, in You I lack nothing but sometimes I can't see that because of all these “trees” and “iron chariots”. Please help me by faith to take hold of the grace You have provided for me. Help me not to live my christian life in a cramped way because I'm more focused on the “trees” and “iron chariots” than I am on the gifts You've given me.




No comments:

Post a Comment