Sunday, March 4, 2012

If My Life Was A Song

My friend and I were eating breakfast together when she shared this idea with me. She said, “If your life was a song what would the lyrics be?” I guess if I was really creative I might write my own song but instead I started thinking about the hymns that I have sung during different chapters of my life. For instance as a teenager I would always sing:
I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I'd rather be His than have riches untold;
I'd rather have Jesus than houses or lands;
I's rather be led by His nail-pieced hand

Then there came a dark period in my life. I felt very afraid and I couldn't see past the pain and confusion and I would sing:
But “I know Whom I have believed,
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I've committed
Unto Him against that day.”

When my husband and I married we would sing the words to the song “Are Ye Able,” Said the Master.
“Are ye able,” said the Master,
“To be crucified with Me?”
“Yea,” the sturdy dreamers answered,
“To the death we follow Thee”
(I think I can say the phrase “Sturdy dreamer” could easily have described me.)
“Lord, we are able” our spirits are Thine;
Remold them make us like Thee, divine.
Thy guiding radiance above us shall be
A beacon to God, to love and loyalty.

From my earliest memories I have struggled from bouts of depression. I've had seven pregnancies and have been blessed with four children. Still, when I lost the other three I sang in the night:
You are my hiding place
You always fill my heart
With songs of deliverance
Whenever I am afraid
I will trust in You

Lord Jesus, I sing my songs to You because I can come just as I am. Thank You, that I don't have to wait till I have rid myself of sin before I sing my songs to You. It was You who cleansed me by Your blood.
Just as I am, though tossed about
with many a conflict, many a doubt,
fighting and fears within, without,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment