Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The experiment

 "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." (Ephesians 4:29). Okay, I won't. That was to be my new law: I would not allow any corrupting, unhealthy, unwholesome words out of my mouth.

You would think by now I'd get it: that law doesn't correct sinful behavior, it just exposes it. My experiment with only saying things that were good for building people up,etc., was very exposing. I found myself confronted again and again with my unkind words. Sometimes these unkindness were veiled, but they were destructive nontheless.

When I determined to practice guarding my tongue, I exposed my heart. This became a place of confession and surrender. What the law exposes, grace can correct. Once more I found myself totally dependent on God's Spirit; dependent and determined to obey God's word. I must add that this is a very humbling process.

Since my words exposed my heart, I though it might be a good idea to apply Philippians 4:8: "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely , whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Do you know what a verse like this does to your social life! Have you ever tried to apply this to a movie or a television show or a book your reading.

Just picture this scene: you’re enjoying an evening while watching a show, and you begin to be aware that you are entertaining yourself with impurity, and there is little or nothing honorable or commendable about the show either. This drives me crazy. I just want to amuse myself, I don't want to think. The problem is, I am thinking. but not not about the things listed in this verse. The problem is magnified if I am with other people, because then I'm afraid I will come across as "holier than thou.”

Back I go to that place of confession and surrender.

Lord, you know me. However, I really don't know myself. I think I'm a good person until I try to obey Your word, and then I find out how sinful I really am. When I see my true self in the light of Your word, I also see my true need for a Savior. When I determine to walk according to Your word, I find my determination is inadequate. Then I remember You not only gave me Yourself as a Savior, but You gave me Your Spirit as well. Take me, Lord, to a deeper surrender; a place where my tongue reflects a heart and mind controlled by the love of Christ. In this place I find the peace that passes understanding.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for inspiring us, Mommy. It's so difficult to follow this and sometimes I just feel like giving up. I know that this is one aspect of your life that you really work at, and you definitely set a standard for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete