Friday, June 17, 2011

Seeking to be understood I understand

My son and I were riding down the street when a car passed on a double yellow line and he made this observation ,"If I do something like that I have a very good explanation. However, if someone else does it it is because they are just that kind of person."

I have been praying through the Lord's prayer and when I get to the part that says,"Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who have sinned against us", I try to think of some one who has done something similar to me. When I see my own failures or the failures of those I love I can be compassionate but I can be very harsh on others.

I find again and again that my weakness my need for forgiveness becomes the place where God teaches me to be compassionate. When I am seeking to to be understood God teaches me to understand. Sometimes my mind obsesses about what someone has done to me or someone I love. I play the event over and over in my mind. It's only when I pray and ask God for help that I can get relief. Often God shows me myself in that other person and by His grace I am able to extend to them the forgiveness I seek.

Lord Jesus, I so often come to You seeking forgiveness. Help me extend this same forgiveness to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment