Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Like a sheep that needs a shepherd

I love the Psalm 119. I have attempted to memorize it several times my problem is that it has one hundred and seventy six verses. Because I've attempted it so many times I'm pretty good at the first part.

"Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the LORD!
Blessed are those who keep his testimonies, who seek him with their whole heart, who also do no wrong, but walk in his ways!

I love the passion of this Psalm. When I read it I hear the conversation between the psalmist and God and it becomes my prayer. "With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments!"verse 10. I like that he makes it a request and not a statement. Another request,"Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law. I am a sojourner on this earth; hide not your commandments from me!" verses 18 and 19.

A few more requests that both the psalmist and I make," Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes; and I will keep it to the end. Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart. Lead me in the path of your commands, for  I delight in it. ... Let your steadfast love come to me O LORD, Your salvation according to your promise;.."verses 33-41.

All through this Psalm I find words to express the cries of my heart and then I come to the last verse and find,"I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek your servant, for I do not forget your commandments." When I read these verses I am reminded of Jesus' words,"Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom." Luke 12:32

Like sheep need a shepherd my soul needs a savior. It is not my own striving and struggling to be good enough but the Father's good pleasure to give a kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment