Saturday, June 11, 2011

No longer held captive

She was a prisoner inside her body. My friend had  Lou Gehrig's Disease an incurable fatal neuromuscular disease . I sat with her and talked to her she was my friend. We were alike in many ways. We both liked to cook, her bookshelves had many of the same books mine did. She and I both had chosen to home school our four children.

Many years ago I had felt like a prisoner inside my body. I had been given strong medicine that made it hard for me to function. I felt like I had lost my personality. It was a painful time in my life yet whenever I sat with my friend I felt like God had redeemed that time in my life because it had opened a window of understanding. When I looked into her eyes I saw her soul.

She and I had another thing in common we had both put our faith in Jesus as our Savior. In Luke 12:32 Jesus said," Fear not, little flock, it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom." When you have an incurable fatal disease this promise becomes an anchor. Hope is a confident expectation of good. Faith is being sure of what you hope for and confident about what you don't see.

I still live daily laying hold of Jesus' promises by faith. But my friend no longer needs to walk by faith she now walks by sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment