Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Gift of Gratitude

There are different ways to open and receive gifts. I have observed both. I have watched children rip through a pile of beautifully wrapped expensive gifts and then sit among-st the littered paper with an expression of disappointment and ask, "Is that all?" I also had the privilege of watching a woman whom my family adopted, Aunt Loraine, open gifts.

Aunt Loraine took her time opening gifts. We would gather around her and be her audience as she would carefully examine each package. Each child wrapped their own gift to her. She would compliment them on the wrapping paper, noticing how they thoroughly covered the gift with tape making it shine. When she got to the gift itself she would fully explore all it's benefits. Aunt Loraine savored the gifts she was given and showered the giver with gratitude.

"Give thanks in all circumstances,for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." I Thessalonians 5:18 I have discovered in life that until I receive gifts with a grateful heart I don't fully receive them at all. If my heart is full of gratitude not only do I look  I also see, not only do I touch I am able to feel. I not only listen to what is being said I am able to hear what is meant. Not only do I eat the feast before me I also am able to taste and savor the flavors.

From my earliest memories I have struggled with depression. One of my weapons in the battle is gratitude. "Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise-the fruit of lips giving thanks to his name." Hebrews 13:15 Sometimes being grateful is a sacrifice. I find it's not a feeling as much as it is a decision. There are other verse in this chapter that help me make this decision. "'Never will I leave you;never will I forsake you.'  So I say with confidence,'The Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid...'" Through the sacrifice of praise and thanks giving my spirit is able to see more clearly the gifts that surround me.

Lord Jesus, thank you for all you have given me. Help me to take the time today to fully appreciate your gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment