Saturday, November 12, 2011

To Be Somebody

Maybe it's because I was one of nine children born within ten years. Maybe it's just human nature. Maybe it's the reason Jesus' disciples kept the argument going about which one of them was the greatest. It is the haunting question, "Am I significant?"

As I wrestled with this question again this morning I started thinking about Jesus' example. "Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus,who, though he was in the from of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men." Philippians 2:5-7 Why? Why would Jesus humble himself to the point of death even death on a cross? It wasn't because of my love for him it was because of his love for me. If the one who calls forth the day from the womb of the dawn has chosen to love me can I find my significance in his love?

Again I think of Jesus, "When he knew his hour had come to depart out of this world to the Father, having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end." John 13 This verse is followed by Jesus laying aside his outer garment, taking a towel, tying it around his waist, and beginning to wash his disciple's feet. In their quest for greatness none of them would have thought to stoop before the others and wash their feet. Yet Jesus said, " For I have given you an example, that you also ought to wash one anther's feet." Can I find my significance in taking up the basin and the towel and following Jesus' example of being a servant?

Lord Jesus, forgive me for my pride. I identify with your disciples desperately wanting to be recognized for being somebody. Thank you Lord for loving me. Thank you Lord for knowing who I am. Thank you Lord for seeing me. It's so easy to get lost these days in the shuffle and the noise. Please help me to find my identity in your love and service.

1 comment:

  1. again, it's so much like parenting or even being a sibling. God isn't known to others as "faith's savior" but rather, (i hope) i am known as God's child. i always found it disconcerting to be identified as "elisabeth's sister" or even "ann's mother" because of the dependence of my identity on someone else. it really is a pride-thing. i think i'm rambling and should probably go drink another cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete