Monday, November 21, 2011

Humility

"You are not the boss of me!" These words were spoken with great conviction by my three year old son. However, at that time I was the boss of him. His statement represented clear lack of understanding about our relationship.

I have begun the practice of daily asking God to give me the spirit of humility. Many people think that I am crazy for doing that. When I pray for humility what I am really seeking is to live my life with a correct view of my relationship to God. The first time I heard humility explained to me was in connection with 1 Peter 5:6,7 "Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you." If I am relating correctly with God I am resting in Him. This for me is a picture of humility.

I also see humility as having a correct relationship with the gifts God has given me. When humility is spoken of in 1 Peter and in James 4 there is a warning to resist the devil. Why? "You were the signet of perfection, full of wisdom and perfect in beauty. You were in Eden, the garden of God; every precious stone was your covering...You were an anointed cherub...You were blameless in your ways from the day you were created, till unrighteousness was found in you." What was the unrighteousness? "Your heart was proud because of your beauty; you corrupted your wisdom for the sake of your splendor." Ezekiel 28 Pride is the opposite of humility. Whenever I focus on what God has given me instead of focusing on God pride enters my heart.

When I clash with those around me it is often because I find it more natural to be prideful than to relate to others with humility. I see their problems clearly while I find my own more difficult to detect. I'm quick to tell others what I think but slow to hear what they are trying to say.

Lord Jesus, I find in your word that I am to clothe myself with humility. Help me to live my life based on your grace, casting my cares on you. Help me to have a heart of gratitude and not pride and help me to consider others more than I do myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment