Tuesday, November 8, 2011

To Know and to be Known

"I never struggled with vanity." About that time my sister almost choked. "Sarah, don't forget we shared a room growing up. If you never struggled with vanity why exactly did you sleep with those huge prickly curlers in your hair?" Sometimes your family understands you better than you do yourself.

"Love is patient" When the Bible describes love this is the first word used in the definition. One dictionary definition for patience is the ability to endure provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain with calm and strength. Where better to experience this than in a family? It began at birth. When my parents took me home from the hospital and they began having to endure provocation, annoyance, misfortune,and pain with calm and strength. This is love. They responded lovingly to me because there was understanding.

Growing up in a large family I was constantly being provoked and annoyed. I was also learning to love. I was learning to understand people who were different from me. Whenever I would come home I was safe to be who I was. I was safe to let down my guard.

I think a basic need for all people is to know and be known. To have a place where you feel like the people around you understand who you are and accept you. I think this is why God created families. Even when Jesus taught us to pray it began,"Our Father who aren't in Heaven." The family relationship of a child approaching their father.

Sometimes it's hard for a child to understand their parents. Yesterday my friend told me about something that happens in Autumn it's called fall turnover. It's when the cool water on the bottom of a lake change places with the warm water on top. When this happens the lake becomes very clear and you are able to see all the way to the bottom of the lake. I have seen this happen in the Autumn of my life as I look at my parents. As I see them with clearer understanding my love grows.

Lord Jesus, thank you for placing me in a family. Thank you for adopting me into your family as well. Help me to love. To give the gift of knowing and receive the gift of being known.

No comments:

Post a Comment