Monday, November 28, 2011

Trust

She wore sorrow like a mantle. Her eyes were cast down. She was a picture of hopelessness. How could someone so young see themselves with no future?

I listened to her story, my heart felt her sadness. I realized what she needed was hope. She needed to know there was something to look forward too. I wanted to help her lift her down cast eyes to the horizon and see the rays of the Sun. I longed to share that God is good and worthy of her trust.

I shared the Scripture that been an encouragement to me so many times. "Trust in the Lord with your with all your heart,and don't lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5,6 There was an angry flash of light in her eyes. "This has nothing to do with trusting God", she said.

What does it mean to "Trust in the Lord with all your heart"? For me this has been at life long journey. When I have faced disappointment "Trusting in the Lord" meant to let go of my dreams and believe that the Sovereign Lord who was my shepherd had a better plan than I could see. When I have looked at the future with fear and anxiety "Trusting the Lord" caused me to remember Jesus' promise to never leave me or forsake me.

My concern for the people I love takes me to a whole different level of trusting God. I have learned the peace this trust brings with it and I want them to have it as well. However, I cannot make someone else choose to trust God. This reality brings me to the question, do I believe God will teach them to trust him the way he has taught me?

Lord Jesus, you have taught me to trust you by the difficulties you've taken me through. Trusting you has taught me how to rejoice in hope and be patient in affliction. Help me to be faithful in prayer as I walk with others who are learning to trust you.

No comments:

Post a Comment