Friday, November 18, 2011

Lessons Learned in the Storm

I picture the scene as I read the words. "When the ship was caught and could not face the wind, we gave way to it and were driven along” (Acts 27). I can picture it because I have experienced it. Not a storm on the sea, but surly in the storms of life. In the storms of life I discovered how vulnerable I really am.

"Since we were violently storm tossed, they began the next day to jettison the cargo." In my mind's eye I can see an ark surrounded by a watery darkness. There is no light to indicate if it is day or night. There are no stars to guide East or West. The ark is tossed by the hands of a monster awakened by the storm. What once seemed precious is now just cargo to be jettisoned in hope of survival.

When all hope was extinguished, Paul spoke and said,"Do not be afraid." How could he say that? He too was experiencing the storm. His words were based on his faith in a Sovereign Lord. Storms often seem to expose a contest of strength. Who will win? To whom will we bow as victor?

In the first chapter of James I read, "Count it all joy, my brothers. when you meet trails of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness."  What is steadfastness? The definition I found was, “Fixed, unchanging, steady." This is the quality I see in Paul when he says during the storm,"Do not fear." A storm will not only show you how vulnerable you are it will show you how strong God is when you put you faith in him.

"And let your steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." What is valuable what is real. The enemy of my soul comes with darkness. Shrouded by the storm produced confusion I loose my way. "You are lost and at my mercy,” fear whispers in my ear. By faith my spirit seeks what my eye cannot see. I call out in faith for wisdom! God gives it generously with out reproach. He knows my frame that I am weak.

Lord Jesus, I call to you in faith when the storms have caused me to loose my way. I do not want to be like the waves of the sea tossed by the wind. Please create in me a steadfast heart. And please let my life be a beacon of light to others who struggle in the dark night of the storm. A light that points to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment